Monday, July 14, 2008

Weekend Lapse

Well it was not the best weekend for me. Sunday was the hubby's birthday and as a result I spent most of the weekend tossing caution to the wind and eating things that we normally avoid (popcorn at the movies, pizza for dinner, etc etc etc). I also baked a lot though we didn't have much of what I came up with, in the end, since we'd had a HUGE meal at the Silver Diner complete with a free slice of cake for Birthday Boy. (I actually didn't eat more than two bites of that b/c I was so stuffed, but I had had a milkshake, so it doesn't count as "being good".) I refuse to beat myself up for this, even though it's yet another sad example of my binge-eating behaviour that I need to work on changing; but as I know it was a more or less one-time thing I can get over it.

...There IS the fact that we now have a number of homemade ice cream sandwiches in the freezer and an entirely untouched lemon-raspberry cake in the fridge that worries me a little, but I'll live.

More of a problem to me is the fact that although I was extremely active on Saturday - walked to the grocery store AND to the movie theatre, as well as out to get ice cream (shut up it was a birthday thing), AND I ran four miles - I dropped it all on Sunday. There wasn't really a whole lot of time based on the plans we had and so in the end I just let it go, and that would be okay if I hadn't splurged quite so much. Oh well. The real thing that is a let-down for me is that I seem to keep dropping the ball on getting all my mileage in for running. This week I was going to try to get up to 15 miles total and I ended up at about 12. :P

Well, Saturday was pretty good anyway. I did just a general 6.0 mph pace for most of it and felt like I was struggling about midway through, mostly because the minutes started going by more slowly. But once I reached 3 miles it got a lot easier and I started feeling more like I was kinda floating. I got to 3.1 and then 3.4 and though I had planned on stopping to recover at 3.5 before going another half-mile, I started thinking perhaps I could make the full 4 miles nonstop after all. (3.5 is still a record distance for me to go without stopping.) However, as I was closing in on the half-mile point I realized that not only was I feeling floaty, I was actually feeling kind of light-headed. No breathing issues or leg pain or chest pain, but I was beginning to get a little dizzy. The clincher came when I scared myself with my arm. It's hard to explain in words, without a clear demonstration, but what I mean is that my left arm came into my peripheral vision as I ran and I thought it was someone else reaching onto the treadmill to push the buttons. O_o

So I stopped. *G* I walked for a few minutes, about three or so, then ran the last half mile at 7.0 mph. Yay me! My time in the end was 4 miles in just about 39 minutes. :)

Total mileage for the week was about 12m. :P This week I'm planning on running less (though the runs I do will be longer runs) so my mileage should be about the same or maybe a little bit less than that. Today I'm going to do - get this - Jane Fonda workout on VHS. Old school! Go Jane! The choreography on this tape is bloody ridiculous. XD

2 comments:

EmLit said...

I can certainly relate to your frustration. My diet lapsed on or around July 4 and has yet to be fully reset. Every time I think I am doing well it seems to fall apart again.

Congratulations on your four miles, even if you didn't make your weekly mileage goal. I wasn't able to get in a fourth run so I had a somewhat disappointing week too, from that perspective.

zebeckras said...

Don't you think it's kind of stupid and sad that we're both fretting so much about weight loss? Neither one of us really needs to lose THAT much but we're so focused on it. I hate that. :P I also hate that if you're not focused on it you're likely to gain weight after all. Too much work! The really lame part is that I am only intending to lose a total of about five or so pounds. And so far it's taken me a month to lose 2, because I'm not really trying as hard as I might! :P~~