Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I almost didn't make it but then I did

Had so many meetings and stuff this morning (I confess: one was a book club meeting) that I wasn't sure I would get to work out. I was determined, though! ...One unfortunate side effect is that I didn't get to go on my extra walk either yesterday or today, so that's too bad. But I had that huge run yesterday so that's okay. And I bet it's hot outside. And I wouldn't have been able to watch TV.

Real quick, today's workout:

Walked 3 minutes to warm up
Ran 1 mile at 7.0 mph (total time: 8m40s)
Push-ups and crunches
15 minutes on elliptical, with five minutes "warm up" and five minutes "cool down" warmly sandwiching five minutes of an interval routine that I detest but which is relatively easy: do 8 seconds all-out pushing as hard as possible, then 12 seconds recovery, over and over and over for five minutes. Yikes!
And finish off with ten minutes on the treadmill at varying speeds and elevations, doing fun things with hand weights. "Varying" means I spent about half of it at 3.0 mph on 3% elevation, first just carrying the weights and pumping my arms for about 2 1/2 minutes, then 30 to a minute each of bicep curls, lateral raises, and upright rows. I stopped when my arms told me to. ;) Then I hit the elevation up higher and went to 4.0 mph for most of the remaining time.
Finally cooled down with about five minutes of stretches - not actual yoga, just stretchin' out the legs.

As for the push-ups, since I didn't start the 100 challenge on Monday I'm putting it off until next week and seeing what I can do on my own. Today I did one set of 15, then a set of 10, and then a set of 8 followed by a knee-set of 7. So I totalled 40! Not bad! Crunches were far less inspiring: 50 regular but only 20 bike abs. But so what!

The problem is I don't really know what I'm going to do tomorrow. I guess I'll just spend more time on the elliptical.

2 comments:

SueWho said...

don't forget to take a rest! but I guess you do that on weekends. it's awesome what you are doing! keep up the good work!

zebeckras said...

Well, don't forget, there are some days when I don't manage to work out at all (Friday AND Sunday last week :P). I try to do something every day though. I don't like to have a day when I don't work out. I just try not to do the intensity level every day.