Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Tomorrow's gonna hurt

that might be a clever reference to Smashmouth, or it might just be a very true statement for my future.

Another title for this post could easily be "Ow! Pilates!"

I got the Crunch Fat Burning Pilates DVD today (well technically, last night) from Netflix and used it today. HOLY JABLONSKI!! I will say that I am able to keep up with the pace of the cardio part quite well, and that I actually did finish the workout - both the cardio blend, and the mat portion. I was really surprised each time one workout ended: I honestly thought I was only about halfway through. So, go me!

On the other hand, I have NONE of the "control" that the instructor talks about for Pilates. I just toss my limbs out all over the place. And the entire first ten minutes at least (probably more) focuses on squats! NOOO! That's just MEAN.

I also find it funny that they do exercise modifications for those of us who suck (er, I mean, who are just starting out) - which is great, don't get me wrong - but those modifications are led by a woman who, I kid you not, I thought was a very buff man with long hair at the start of the video. She's that ripped. YEAH, lady, YOU really need modified poses. Oh well, thanks for letting me slack off. ;D

The mat stuff is the most interesting to me. I did most of the exercises with modifications but I think in another week or so I will be ready to try them without modding (key word: TRY). I like the "Hundred" one - I've tried that before and I suck but seeing it demonstrated made me understand it a bit easier. Also, boys I was drippin' sweat at this point and my legs were all slippery. Not an easy workout!

So my initial response: if you are looking for a home workout and you really want to start Pilates, start with something easier! If you've got some background with Pilates, or you just REALLY want to push yourself, this is pretty good - the pace is good, and like I said it went more quickly than I thought it would, but it is definitely going to take me a while to learn to isolate my muscles etc etc. I got no rhythm, either.

Also! Today was day 2 of the Hundred Push-ups challenge! I forgot to check the chart to see what I was supposed to do, so I just did this: 12, 12, 10, 10, 8. I think that's right, and if not, it's really close. Total is 52! Ay caramba!

Listen folks I'm guaranteed to have my ass in a sling tomorrow I'll be so sore. And I claimed I was going to run sprints! We'll see, friends and family (mostly if not entirely the latter). We'll see.

Oh for the record though, I did start the workout with a mile at 2% elevation. Hooray! It showed me one thing: I will NOT be able to run the same at 6.5 mph on Friday. Instead I'm going to try to do that speed at 1% and if that's too hard I'll drop it down to 0 after a half mile. I'm sticking to the speedy though. It is in the cards! (I miss Magic 8 Balls.)

Quickie edit: I checked and I was wrong on the very last set of the push-ups, it was meant to be 10 again. So I should've done 54. Fie on that, though, I'm pleased with 52 (and 8 really was my max). Friday I'm supposed to do 15, 13, 10, 10, 15... I don't know about that. :P (63 total! Last week the highest I got was like 45 and at the end of this week I'm supposed to be up to 63! That's just special.

4 comments:

EmLit said...

That Smash Mouth reference makes me laugh, and reminds me--do you remember that song from the nineties that I think was by, like, Jimmy Ray or somesuch? And it was like, "Are you --- Ray? Are you --- Ray?" I am putting in dashes because I can't remember any of the things they said but it was stuff like Faye Ray or something, and then the response was "Who wants to know?! Who wants to know?!" Do you remember that?

Anyhow, yeah, Pilates is hard and I've never even done something like the DVD you've described. I do have some Winsor Pilates DVDs if you want them. I don't know if you want to get more into Pilates, but if so, they are yours. I never use them.

zebeckras said...

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU MENTIONED THAT SONG! I was just listening to a tape you made me waaaaaay back years ago and it had all this stuff on it, like Roger's version of "If I Only Had A Heart" and things. And the last song listed is "A Quick One" but there are three songs after that, which I hadn't heard in forever b/c when I would listen to that tape I'd turn it off after A Quick One thinking it was the end. The last songs are "Wannabe", some Roger Daltrey solo song, and - THAT JIMMY RAY SONG! It blew my mind when I heard it Sunday morning, and now you just blew my mind AGAIN! POW! ;D

I'm interested in getting more into Pilates, at least as much as I am able! And I'm interested in various different kinds - I picked out the Crunch b/c right now I'm just trying to lose like three or four pounds (and can't seem to do it) so I thought I'd go with one that seemed to go there; but I'm more interested in it long-term as a toning kind of thing so if Winsor Pilates is that way that'd be great. The less I have to use Netflix to work out, the better, if you ask me. ;)

SueWho said...

hahaha, your posts are so funny! They make me laugh out loud and people in my office think I'm weird. By the way, I am definitely making that couscous salad for you all next time you come over because I want to hear Dorothy call it "too toos." Too cute!!

Human Microbiome Search Engine said...

As you said in the post title, "Tomorrow's gonna hurt."

I can see why. You're really serious about your exercises. Congratulations, and best wishes.