Friday, July 25, 2008

Splitsville

It just seems easier to split these really long posts up, so that's what I'm doing for the second time this week.

Just to cover the rest of the week, here...

Thursday I woke up with an incredibly sore neck, like a pinched nerve or something. Don't know if it was from bowling (by the way, I suck at bowling... on my second game I broke fifty and I did a pathetic little dance) or the way I slept Wednesday night but whenever I lifted my left arm I got a pain up my neck. It's still there today. Advil helps a bit though. Naturally I've put the push-ups aside until this is over, as well as most any other strength work; I did try holding weights while I walked today and could feel it so I didn't do much.

Anyway all day yesterday I flirted with the idea of getting my work done nad leaving early, so I put off working out until the afternoon. At lunch time I went out on a walk and it was so gorgeous out that I knew I had to go running outside. I did end up staying the full day, so I went out at around 3pm and ran a different route than my usual one, going in the opposite direction. It was not my best run: I probably could have done better if I'd pushed myself, but I was underhydrated, hadn't eaten too recently, had overeaten the day before, and ultimately didn't WANT to push myself. So I totaled about 2 miles running with another 1 or so walked. It was a very nice day outside, though.

Today, finally we're up to today, today I ran a "fast" mile (7.0mph), then did 20 minutes of intervals on the elliptical; I set it on "hills" at level 10 and did five minutes of steady work and then five minutes of "bursts", the ones where you do 8 seconds hard work and then 12 recovery. I repeated those and it was pretty good, especially because it was already on the "hills" setting so I was getting intervals no matter what I was doing. After that I went back to the treadmill and ran another 1.1 miles, this time with sprint intervals. I did three reps of 2 minutes at 6mph and 1 at 8mph, then did one last minute at 6mph.

I've run a good deal more this week than I did last week, without any real premeditation; I just don't know what to do right now if I'm not running b/c I don't have any plans for other workouts. I've got a "Crunch Pilates" DVD coming tomorrow htough so next week I should have a little more structure. But I also intend to spend the next 4 weeks or so going back to doing hill/elevation workouts in prep for my next 5K. I *hate* hills! SO MUCH! :P

Total mileage for the week:
4.1 Tuesday
1 Wednesday
2 Thursday
2.1 Friday
Total: 9.2

And in a final "WTF" moment I turned on the radio this morning on Light WASH FM, a station I generally hate, and got Christmas music. They're doing "Christmas In July" today, I guess because it's the 25th. TOTALLY screwed with my head. XD

2 comments:

EmLit said...

I had a weird neck/shoulder thing early last week or the week before. Man, that sucked. I could hardly turn my head and driving and things like that were really difficult. I had to turn my whole body if I wanted to see anything happening to the side of me or behind me. It improved vastly with some yoga but was enough to make me drop the push-up challenge so I can understand how you feel. I hope you feel better soon!

zebeckras said...

I hate it when I get neck and back problems. I adjust fairly quickly if it's arm-related (I'm using mostly my right arm for things today) but certain things are still really complicated, like getting Dorothy into her car seat. Arrgh!