Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The incredible edible egg

The egg is like one of my favourite meal items ever. Yet another reason why it would be hard for me to be a vegan. Then again I did used to say I could never give up beef to go veggie, and I have stopped eating beef, so who knows what crazy wacky things the fugure could show us.

WELL. Tuesdays I normally go outside but I was dreading the thought because the heat has been so oppressive lately. So instead I thought I'd go easy on myself and just do the treadmill again. Treadmill potato that I am. It turned out that was a good decision since right before my workout time we got a big ol' thunderstorm! Go figure. So I just went downstairs and watched the first hour of "Return of the King" instead. Oh technology! We shall never have to leave the indoors again pretty soon.

I do best following a predictable schedule, so I just did another long run, though I did try to mix it up a bit with some sprints towards the end. I went 3.1 miles first, with most of that at 6 mph and the last... ummmm... minute, maybe? at 8mph. Then I took a breather with a minute or so of walking at 3.5mph and another .3 at 4mph. So this totaled up to 3.5, and from there I started running again, alternating between perhaps 2 and 1/2 minutes at 6mph and then as long as I could go at 9mph (usually about 45 seconds), then as long as I could go at 8mph (usually same), before dropping back to 6mph. This worked pretty well for the last mile and then I finished with another 1/2 mile of walking. So I again totaled 5 miles, 4.1 of them were running, and I can't recall my exact time but I think I got that 4.1 in about 40 minutes. Maaaaybe a little less... but not much. ;)

I walked another five minutes just to cool down (at low low speeds, like 2.5 mph) and then stretched, which I never remember to do on weekends so my legs were really tight. Then I did pushups but again no crunches. Lazy. I'm up to 16 in one set now! 16-12-8-9 today for a total of 45. :)

To close this out and make it interesting, here are some-but-not-all of the races I would like to run this year (all conditions remaining viable):

the "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" 5K in late August
Somerset Annual Back-to-School 8K Run
Rockville 10K/5K

There are also several others I can't link to, like the Candy Cane City 5K in November and the Turkey Burn-off around Thanksgiving. Now THAT is an incentive not to overeat! ;D

So who wants to run these with me?

6 comments:

EmLit said...

You can count me in for the Turkey burn-off as long as I am in town for it. I figure if it is around Thanksgiving (Thursday/Friday/Saturday/Sunday) then I can probably do it!

SueWho said...

who knows, maybe I will be able to run a 5k by then. If so, count me in.

Binx said...

good job, rebecca! i wish i could commit to running as much as you have. little things happen that throw me completely off schedule. :( i need to learn to work around that.

maybe i'll do the turkey burn-off, too...

zebeckras said...

Good thing there's not a prerequisite for the Turkey Burn-off run that you have to actually eat turkey. ;P

I think it would be great if we could all do that race together! Mom, I know you can be ready to run a 5K by Thanksgiving at the rate you are going. :) Also remember that you can go at your own pace so if you get halfway through and feel like you need to walk the rest of the way, you can! The pride is in knowing you finished a race the day after Thanksgiving (or whenever it is) when most people are sitting on the couch dozing and eating leftovers. ;) (Which I probably will also do that day.) Maybe then we could also FINALLY get to the Christmas lights thing, if Dorothy isn't out of sorts again. ;) This time I think it will work out.

Charlotte, you know, the thing is that I can only commit to it because my work schedule is completely able to fit it in. If I didn't have a gym in my office and an open lunch hour this would be a no-go for me. It's all timing and happenstance really.

zebeckras said...

Oh yeah, and also, how about we all commit now to doing the post-Thanksgiving race? I mean, barring something coming up that COMPLETELY keeps us from it (like sickness or something) - commit in terms of making plans and saying we will be in the area that day and not overeating on Thanksgiving so that we'll be able to run. Committing that way. :)

EmLit said...

Okay, I'm in for the Turkey burn-off, then! It will be a nice post-marathon run :)