Friday, August 22, 2008

Only once this week?

Okay, well, I've been quiet because I'm kind of trying to get myself into the headset that it's best for me to back off of running too much right now. Although I don't think I'm over-exercising as an individual in the least, I do think it might interfere with fertility somewhat so I'm trying to just pull back a bit. You know - running a comfortable amount each week rather than training and trying to do just a bit more every time.

So while I definitely still ran this week, I did so less, and I just never got around to writing about it. Starting with Saturday: I really, really, really was tired on Sat. I could not make it to work out, so I just accepted that I was not going to. Instead I ran 5 miles on Sunday! Yay! That was kind of a "last hurrah" in a way... I might do that again in one run but I'm not going to go over it for a while.

Monday was very busy since several coworkers were out, plus I had to make a sudden appointment, so I didn't have time to work out. Boo! But I have been fine since then; I did about 4 miles on Tuesday (including some sprints), 3 miles straight on Wednesday, and yesterday I went outside and got in 4 miles. AND! I came closer to conquering that damn last half-mile! I actually made it close to 2.9 miles before stopping. I spent the last part of it counting, which kinda worked.

Tomorrow I am running a 5K and since I never run the day before a race I just walked a lot today. I went on the treadmill and put up the elevation, and carried a couple of weights for part of it. I feel pretty good about it because it was *hard work*.

Diet habits are... complicated lately. I've been trying for about 2 months or so now to lose around 5 lbs, and although I guess I've lost between 1 and 3, most of it has come back bit by bit. I'm right around where I was when I started, I guess maybe a pound less. I've decided this is because I am SICK OF BEING ON A DIET. :P So I admit it: I'm not actually sticking to dieting. I'll do okay for half the day and then blow it at night, or do okay for half a week and then go to a wedding or something on the weekend. Remember what I was saying about binge eating? :P So I think I need to just let it go and start trying to eat regularly for a while, 1800-2,300 calories a day, nice and normal. That gives me a nice window, since I'm pretty active. Anyway most days I don't actually go *over* 2,000 or so calories, it's just I'm trying to do, say, 1300-1400. So forget it! I need to learn to just eat normally!

Also I certainly don't need to be dieting if I'm trying to get pregnant (even though hey, it didn't hurt last time). Now I'm just going to be tremendously paranoid that it'll result in me putting on weight over the next few weeks instead. Ugh. Too much to stress over! :)

3 comments:

SueWho said...

"sick of being on a diet" means you feel deprived, I think. take a break, but use good sense and make the right choices, and then you can come back to the diet. You have done an awesome job!

zebeckras said...

maybe coming back to the diet wouldn't even be necessary, who knows. But yes, I think it is a matter of feeling deprived, and I think I'll be better at not overdoing it and at not breaking down with a "dammit I just want to eat a lot of bread now!" most nights when I'm not spending the first half of the day really restricting myself, or spending most of my time watching it all very carefully. Once I'm used to the "I can do this any time, as long as it's not ALL the time" mentality it should be better.

Binx said...

You are really active. As long as you keep your activity level up, and keep healthy eating habits, you shouldn't need to "diet". You would probably lose that weight if you stuck to 1800 calories a day. I have the same problem-- eating too much late in the day-- especially after work. it helps keeping less bread around, though! I read something I thought was a good idea about making a "Healthy Snack Bag", or bowl, or whatever... which basically means keeping a variety of nutritious things available at all times so you choose that over the bad stuff.